"No one said it would be easy, they said it would be worth it !"

Sunday, February 14, 2010

my new life

Salut!
Everyone (yes you Arameh) has been telling me to write another blog, so here it is =)
I have been really busy these last few weeks, and have been getting real tired. The tiredness is a lot to do with the long days at school, but also concentrating on listening to people when they talk to me. It's hard to explain, but I can't just sit there and understand people talking, I actually have to listen really, really carefully and concentrate on what they are saying. At times it can be a bit frustrating with the language barrier at school and that, because I want to say something but don't know how to say it in French. That is quite hard for me because like most of you know I love to talk and talk and talk, but here it's a bit hard to do that haha. The amount I speak in NZ in one day is probably the equivalent to what I speak here in one week. Maybe not even that lol, you get the picture anyway.

Ahh fashion y'all want to know about the fashion ay? Well all I can say is wow. I'll put it this way, no one comes to school wearing trackies and a hoody. I'm pretty sure that most the girls who go to my school could be models if they wanted to. I was talking to my host mum and she said that the girls at David d'Angers are known to be "très chic." I will put some photos up on facebook or something soon enough and you can see for yourselves. I really love the clothes they wear though. It's strange for me to wear mufti everyday and I suddenly have realised I don't have much clothes! When you wear mufti everyday it gets hard to find stuff to wear! I would definitely prefer to wear uniform, such less preparation!

All the people in my class are really nice and I enjoy school and have finally figured out my timetable (it has only taken 3 weeks), although I still understand nothing in my lessons! On Thursday night I went to the theatre with my French class, and well that was an experience and a half!! I probably understood two sentences in the whole piece. I think it would have been boring in English to be honest, there were two characters and all they did was talk, fight, talk, fight. Then they started throwing rubbish everywhere, now that was just random. The whole time I thought that they were father and daughter and then in the end they started kissing lol, so I got that a bit wrong. It was definitely an experience.

I am now on holidays for 3 weeks =D well officially it's 2 weeks, but when everyone goes back to school I have a bus trip with other exchange students in France and we are going to Spain for the week. I can't wait it's going to be so much fun and I will meet heaps of new people. These holidays I am going to Paris for the day with Alain and Véronique (my host parents) and Lea who is a family friend, shes 16. I am also going to stay at her house for 2 nights, and I am looking forward to that. Her family lives in the country about half an hour away so she goes to a different school. When I was told we were going to Paris I was sooo excited, if you have ever been into my bedroom in NZ you will have seen my obsession with Paris, so this is actually a dream come true.

I was told before I arrived that it will start getting warmer, well that was lies! I swear everyday it gets colder, like this morning I woke up to find snow everywhere. It's like being out on the Kepler all over again... everyday! It's crazy, and I am so jealous to hear about people at the beach in NZ!

Last weekend I went with my friend Lucas to Nantes. Nantes is the closest city to Angers and it's where a lot of the other exchange students in my district live. So I met up with them and we had a really good afternoon. Lucas is the guy from Brazil. We took the TGV which is soo fast compared to the Auckland trains. It takes an hour to drive to Nantes by car, in the tgv it took us 35 minutes. From Pukekohe to Auckland is about 40 minutes when there is no traffic, and in the train it's over an hour... So you can see why I was so amazed!

Tonight we had crêpes for tea! And I made them! It was really fun because we flip it in the air and catch it with the frying pan again. I made a couple of bad ones but I didn't drop any on the floor so that was good! I was a bit worried that I would throw them too high and they would land on the roof aswell! Haha- Only in France.

To be completely honest I don't really miss home that much, only the sunshine. It's because I have been so busy here adjusting to a new life I haven't had time to think about it. I am sure the homesickness will come at some point.

Well I will put a couple of photos up for you. To the St Mary's class of 2009; good luck to all you heading off to University, I'm thinking of you! =)
Laura xoxo


me and lucas at the patinoir (ice skating)


the snow outside my house this morning


me and véronique at this super old village just out of Angers, the roads are all made out of rocks, and the houses are of stone. The town is right by the river and it floods often, we are standing beside a sign which shows how much this town floods. It is so bad everyone leaves by boat!


Crêpe making!

3 comments:

  1. Oh La La !
    Laura Laura, you seem to be having the bestest of times!
    VERY good to see hehe.
    Thankyou for blogging again xx ;)
    I totally know what you mean about the tiring days of trying to understand French ALL THE TIME - remember our first days in Tahiti? I had ongoing headaches, but then it eventually fades, and you'll be speaking just like Les Francais =D
    Love you and miss you, take care in Paris, and tell us all about EVERYTHING once you're back
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh your so cute with your crepe making! im super impressed. croissants up the effiel tower? yup good idea=) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading your posts Laura. pleased to hear that you are not homesick yet and it sounds as though you are doing heaps to keep busy.Looking forward to the next post already!

    ReplyDelete